Help the WMC Hiking Committee
What is the hiking committee?
- The hiking committee is just the hiking co-directors and a few volunteers.
Our main functions are to find and support hiking activity organizers.
We also submit activities for publication in The Rambler, the Club's magazine and on the online calendar.
- Every month, we send out an initial e-mail call for hikes,
coupled with telephone calls for those who don't operate much, if at all, in cyberspace.
We use the activity preferences section of the website to call those interested in organizing hikes.
- We solicit potential organizers on the hiking e-mail list.
- We buttonhole friends at every opportunity.
- We try to fill a flexible quota of hiking activities:
- Four day hikes of varying difficulty per weekend day and holiday.
- Fewer day hikes per day in shoulder seasons.
- One evening hike each on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- One out of town trip per weekend.
- More out of town trips on holiday weekends.
- We answer organizers' questions.
- We mail packets to organizers before their activity.
- Hiking committee volunteers may change from month to month.
- We always desperately need volunteers.
- The work is easy if we split it up.
- We may occasionally have meetings. Usually we get in touch by phone and e-mail.
- Not much if we split the work up.
- With four callers, each caller needs to fill only about 8 hikes.
- The number depends on the time of year, and can be lower.
- It's usually an hour and a half per night for a couple of nights.
- Hey, glad you asked! Just email or call the Hiking Directors.