Centennial Education Endowment
The Wasatch Mountain Club is making a lasting legacy in commemoration of the centennial year. Past WMC President John Veranth has worked closely with the University of Utah to establish an endowed scholarship fund at the University of Utah to support students in the Parks, Recreation and Tourism department pursuing degrees focused in environmental health and community outdoor recreation.
The Parks, Recreation and Tourism program is part of the College of Health. The program inspires students to inform policy, serve social needs, promote sustainability, and advocate for the health of people, communities, and the environment. This is closely aligned with the purpose statement of the WMC. Information about the scholarship from the UofU.
Here's a link to the 2021 WMC Scholarship Endowment Annual Report.
Use this link to donate to the WMC Centennial Scholarship at the University of Utah:
Donate to the WMC Centennial Scholarship
- What is the schlorship name? The Wasatch Mountain Club Scholarship Fund.
- What is the fundraising goal? The WMC has reached the minimum $25,000 required to establish the endowment, and the first scholarship will be awarded in 2022. Our goal is to establish a $50,000 endowment that can continue to be funded year after year. Donations received in exchange for club merchandise (like hats, shirts, patches, coasters, mugs, koozies, etc.) will go towards the Endowment, and any sponsorship funds remaining over and above the cost of the Centennial events will be directed to the Endowment, and there is a possibility of some matching funds, so that $50,000 goal is very doable.
- How much money will the scholarship provide annually? The university normally distributes at least 3% of an endowment fund balance annually, but this can be adjusted depending on investment returns.
- Are individual contributions tax deductible to the donor? Donations made through the WMC would not be tax deductible (we are a non-profit membership organization, but not a 501c3). Donations made directly to the University of Utah will be tax deductible and you will be credited as a donor to the U.
- How should contributions be made? Donations can be made directly to the U online via the link above. Checks can also be made out to the University of Utah with a memo “WMC Scholarship Fund” and mailed to Courtney Garay, Advancement Director, College of Health, University of Utah, 383 Colorow Drive, Box #4, Salt Lake City, UT 84108. The WMC will get regular updates on balance of and disbursements from the fund, which we will report back to the membership.